Tribal Transportation Program Safety Funds (TTPSF)
Each year under MAP-21, 2% of the available TTP funds are set aside to address safety issues in Native America. Funds are available to federally recognized Indian tribes through a competitive, discretionary program. Awarded annually, projects are chosen whose outcomes will address the prevention and reduction of death or serious injuries in transportation related crashes. We recognize that traffic fatalities and injuries severely impact the quality of life in Indian country. Statistics are consistently higher than the rest of the nation as a whole; we advocate the development of Strategic Transportation Safety Plans as a means for tribes to determine how transportation safety needs will be addressed in tribal communities.
Funding goals have been established in four categories under TTPSF: Safety Planning (40%); Engineering Improvements (30%); Enforcement/EMS (20%); and Education (10%).
FY2015 TTP Safety Funding Applications are being accepted from June 26, 2015 until August 25, 2015 at 5pm EST. Complete details can be found in the Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) published June 26, 2015 in the Federal Register. A complete application consists of:
- Online application (click here to begin)
- Project Narrative (upload as part of the online application)
Resources for Preparing a TTPSF Application:
- Recorded webinar from July 15, 2015 regarding the TTP Safety Fund NOFA
- Application Information in either DOCX (Word, 38 KB) or PDF (Acrobat, 65 KB) format.
- "How to write a good Project Abstract" (Acrobat, 62 KB)
- Preview of the Application for Federal Assistance (SF-424) online form (Acrobat, 121 KB)
- TTPSF Frequently Asked Questions
FY14 TTP Safety Funding Awards List:
- U.S. Transportation Secretary Foxx Announces $8.5 Million for Tribal Transportation Safety Improvements (Acrobat, 58 KB)
- FY 2014 TTPSF Grant Recipients (Acrobat, 103 KB)
FY13 TTP Safety Funding Awards List:
- U.S. Transportation Secretary Foxx Announces $8.6 Million for Tribal Transportation Safety Improvements
- FY 2013 TTPSF Grant Recipients (Acrobat, 65 KB)
- FY 2013 TTPSF Post-Award Debrief -- why some applications were ranked "not qualified." (Acrobat, 606 KB)