Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP)
The Federal Lands Access Program (Access Program) was established in 23 U.S.C. 204 to improve transportation facilities that provide access to, are adjacent to, or are located within Federal lands. The Access Program supplements State and local resources for public roads, transit systems, and other transportation facilities, with an emphasis on high-use recreation sites and economic generators.
The Program is designed to provide flexibility for a wide range of transportation projects in the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
The Access Program is funded by contract authority from the Highway Trust Fund and subject to obligation limitation. Funds will be allocated among the States using a statutory formula based on road mileage, number of bridges, land area, and visitation.
Projects are selected by a Programming Decision Committee (PDC) established in each State. The PDCs request project applications through a call for projects. The frequency of the calls is established by the PDCs. The interactive map below provides the status of the call for projects.
- Access Program Implementation Guidance (Acrobat, 65 KB)
- Access Program Fact Sheet
- Fixing America’s Surface Transportation(FAST) Act Fact Sheet (Acrobat, 413 KB)
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) Number: 20.224
Status of the call for projects
To learn more about the call for projects status, points of contact or to access a link to a State FLAP webpage, click on a state in the map below.
* Figures listed are annual allocation estimates per fiscal year and subject to availability of funds.
To directly access a State FLAP webpage, click on any of the State names below:
Eastern Federal Lands
Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Central Federal Lands
Western Federal Lands
Access Program Funding Amounts by State:
- Distribution Worksheet, FY 2013-2015 (MAP-21 funding levels) (Acrobat, 67 KB)
- Distribution Worksheet, FY 2016 (FAST Act funding levels) (Acrobat, 65 KB)
Note: The Access Program funding is distributed according to the road miles, visitation, public bridges, and land area from the National Park Service, the Forest Service, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Land Management and the Corps of Engineers in accordance with the statutory formula. The values, specifically road miles that account for 55% of the funding, are subject to change and can drastically affect the States funding distribution from one year to another.
- Programming Decisions Committee Contacts
- FLAP project MOA (Acrobat, 452 KB)
- Federal Lands Access Program Assessment Report (Acrobat, 211 KB)
- FY 2013 - FY 2014 FLAP Accomplishment Reports
Headquarters Program Office Contact
Office of Federal Lands Highway
Phone: (202) 493-0271