Tribal Transportation Program Safety Funds (TTPSF)
Each year under the FAST Act, 2% of the available TTP funds are set aside to address transportation safety issues in Native America. Funds are available to federally recognized Indian tribes through a competitive, discretionary program. Awarded annually, projects are chosen whose outcomes will address the prevention and reduction of death or serious injuries in transportation related incidents, such as motor vehicle crashes. Transportation fatalities and injuries severely impact the quality of life in Indian country. Statistics are consistently higher than the rest of the nation as a whole.
FHWA advocates the development of strategic Transportation Safety Plans as a means for tribes to determine how transportation safety needs will be addressed in and around tribal communities. Additional information on developing safety plans can be found here.
Eligible projects for the TTP Safety Fund under the FAST Act include:
- development and update of transportation safety plans
- crash data assessment, improvement, and analysis
- infrastructure improvements and other eligible activities as listed in 23 U.S.C. 148(a)(4).
2019 TTP Safety Fund
The 2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity was published on March 19, 2019. Applications are due no later than 11:59pm EST on May 20, 2019. To apply, follow these steps:
- Review the Notice of Funding Opportunity (Acrobat, 288 KB)
- Prepare a Project Narrative using the Application Information: DOCX (Word, 32 KB) or PDF (Acrobat, 180 KB)
- Review the FY19 Online Application Preview: DOCX (Word, 33 KB) or PDF (Acrobat, 233 KB)
Submit your application using the online application form by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.
A webinar to review the funding opportunity and application process will be held on April 4, 2019 at 1:00pm Eastern Time. To access the webinar at the specified time, please visit http://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/TribalSafety/. A recording of the presentation will be posted on this web page after the live event.
- 2019 Additional Resources for Preparing a TTPSF Application:
- TTPSF Frequently Asked Questions
- Prior Year TTP Safety Funding Awards Lists:
For Additional Information
- Adam Larsen
Safety Engineer & Safety Program Manager