Beach Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Maryland State Line
Reconstruction of Beach Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Maryland State Line
This section will be updated on a weekly basis.
Work for November 18, to November 25, 2017
Construction is currently in Segment 2 & 3
- Continuing installation of new drainage structures and pipe between Tilden Street and Joyce Street
- Continuing bridge repair work at the Blagden Bridge
- Continuing roadway construction along Beach Drive between Tilden Street and Broad Branch Road
- Starting reconstruction work at the Tilden Street intersection
- Starting installation of bio retention cells at Parking Area #2 north of Tilden Street (parking area is closed to traffic)
There will be no work on the project Thursday through Saturday in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
Beach Drive northbound and southbound is closed from Tilden Street/Park Road to the vicinity of Joyce Road. The closure for Segment 2, from Tilden Street/Park Road to Broad Branch Road/Blagden Avenue will remain in place through Winter 2017. The closure for Segment 3, from Broad Branch Road/Blagden Avenue to Joyce Road will remain in place through Autumn 2018. Detours are in place. Expect major delays.
Intersection of Tilden Street and Beach Drive:
Saturday, November 18, the contractor will be milling and placing asphalt at the intersection of Tilden Street and Beach Drive. Traffic will be under the direction of flaggers.
Additional Segment 3 road closures, in-place through Autumn 2018:
- Ross Drive is closed to motorized traffic from south of the parking lot at Joyce Road to Ridge Road
- Ridge Road is close to motorized traffic from between Glover Road to Broad Branch Road
- Broad Broach Road south of Brandywine is closed to motorized vehicles except for local traffic only
- Pedestrian and bicycle access on Beach Drive between Tilden Street/Park Road and Joyce Road NW is closed at all times, including weekends. Ross Drive and Ridge Road are available as alternate routes. Please use caution while traveling around the work zone. Pedestrians and cyclists are reminded to please stay on the trail and not use the closed section of Beach Drive.
To avoid the Beach Drive closures and possible congestion on the signed detour routes, use alternate routes.
For other information on Beach Drive project see: http://go.nps.gov/beachdrive. And for other information on closures within Rock Creek Park see: http://www.nps.gov/rocr/index.htm and click on "Show Alerts".
The NPS will use Nixle as a tool to provide upcoming closure information along Beach Drive to commuters and visitors to Rock Creek Park. Commuters and visitors are encouraged to register by texting: BEACHDRIVE to 888777 from your mobile phone.
Pavement reconstruction of Beach Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Maryland State Line; reconstruction of Harvard Street ramp; bridge and parking area rehabilitation; multi-use trail rehabilitation and construction, including concrete curb and gutter, storm sewer replacement, traffic signal and street light replacement, permanent signing and striping, and other miscellaneous work.
This project was awarded on June 20, 2016. Construction activities are underway. Roadway closures are scheduled to begin on or after September 19, 2016. The expected completion of the project is fall 2018.
The reconstruction of Beach Drive (6.45 miles) will be completed in four phases. Each phase will close a segment of Beach Drive to vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians. Separate vehicular and pedestrian detours will be signed and maintained during times of closures along Beach Drive. The segments of work are sub-divided as follows:
Segment 1: Shoreham Drive to Tilden Street/Park Road (1.82 miles)
Work includes the reconstruction of Beach Drive (from Shoreham Drive to Tilden Street), the reconstruction of the Rock Creek trail, the rehabilitation of Zoo Tunnel Bridge and the Zoo Tunnel (including sidewalk widening), the rehabilitation of the ramp to Harvard Street, street light replacement, traffic signal replacement at Tilden Street intersection, and other work. Access to the National Zoo driveway and Harvard Street Ramp will be closed.
Segment 2: Tilden Street/Park Road to Broad Branch Road (0.34 miles)
Work includes reconstruction of Beach Drive (from Tilden Street/Park Road to Broad Branch Road), rehabilitation of Blagden Bridge and Parking Area, traffic signal replace at Tilden Street intersection and other work.
Segment 3: Broad Branch Road to Joyce Road (1.59 miles)
Work includes the reconstruction of Beach Drive (from Broad Branch Road to Joyce Road), rehabilitation of Boulder Bridge and Joyce Road box culvert, reconstruction of the Park Police Station parking area and other work.
Segment 4: Joyce Road to Maryland State Line (2.70 miles)
Work includes the reconstruction of Beach Drive (from Joyce Road to the Maryland State Line), rehabilitation of Joyce Road box culvert, rehabilitation of Milkhouse Ford Bridge and Pinehurst Branch Bridge; reconstruction/rehabilitation of parking areas, and other work.
|Project #||DC PRA-ROCR 10(5)|
|Project Name||Reconstruction of Beach Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Maryland State Line|
|Location||District of Columbia|
Federal Highway Administration
Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division
21400 Ridgetop Circle
Sterling, Virginia 20166