Main Boulder River Road Improvements Project
Allowable Road Closures(a) Monday through Thursday:
6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. 30 minute delays permitted
8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Close road
11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. 30 minute delays permitted
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Close road
5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. 30 minute delays permitted
7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Close road
(b) Friday through Sunday:
6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Open road
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 30 minute delays permitted
5.00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Open Road
7.00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. 30 minute delays permitted
The Western Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), in partnership with Sweet Grass County, Montana proposes to improve 6.82 miles of Main Boulder River Road. The project begins approximately 20 miles southwest of Big Timber, Montana in Park and Sweet Grass County, Montana.
The proposed project scope includes:
- Construct a two lane aggregate surfaced road with a 20 foot top width (10' lanes). Areas where the 20 foot width is not achievable can be reduced to a minimum 16 foot width with inter-visible turnouts constructed at each end of the narrow sections with appropriate signing. If at all possible, holding to a minimum top width of 18' (two 9' lanes) to meet the minimum width standards for a double lane road in AASHTO low volume is much more desirable.
- Recondition base and grind/crush the top 8" of existing surface and or remove boulders to place the aggregate base on.
- Improve drainage by adding culverts at needed locations, upsizing culverts that are currently undersized and adding or improving ditches. Several streams may support fish and structures selected will need to fully pass target species at all life stages. Consult with USFS Fish Biologists as some streams may need to have barriers in place.
- Install retaining walls as needed. Anticipate walls in the Beaver Creek Pond area where the road is pinched between a talus slope and the creek.
- Incorporate dust abatement into the surfacing aggregate when placed.
- Construct entrance kiosk at Main Boulder Ranger Station.
- Install interpretive signs at approximately 12 sites selected by U.S. Forest Service.
Documents and Updates
|Project #||MT Sweetgrass 210(1)|
|Project Name||Main Boulder River Road Improvements Project|
|Location||Sweet Grass County|
|Awarded to||M.A. DeAtley Construction Inc.|
|Estimated Completion||November 2017|
Nathan Jones, Project Engineer
Phone: (406) 471 - 8762
Federal Highway Administration
Western Federal Lands Highway Division
610 East Fifth Street
Vancouver, WA 98661-3801