Limits of Construction
This exercise demonstrates how to automatically draw limit of construction, commonly called slope stake limits, using the Limits of Construction tool. The tool will draw graphical elements in a horizontal alignment dgn that represent tie points of the proposed finished grade and the existing ground line from a cross section dgn file.
- A cross section dgn file with, cross section cells, exciting ground lines, and proposed finished grade lines
- A horizontal alignment dgn file that is not open
To begin open the cross section dgn file.
Next, Open the Project Manager, then go to Directory>Current Working Directory, next Select Project (.prj file) to work on, then Select OK, and then Select User [name] from Project Users menu.
Verify the proper working alignment is being used. Select the Limits of Construction tab on the Project Manager menu.
The Select Run menu will appear. Create a new run. Go to Run>New.
Enter a run name and description. Use acceptable description for documentation.
Select newly created run and then select OK.
The Limits of Construction menu will appear.
Much of the menu data should be populated with the working alignment data.
- Job: GPK file is acquired from cell data in the drawing
- Tolerance: Set to 0.01[or 0.001 if ties are not captured ]
- Chain: Current cross section chain is acquired from cell data
- Begin/End Station: Grayed out fields are acquired from cell data. Fill in desired stations. To populate with entire station ranges, select entire filed, press delete key, the press Tab key
- Plan DGN File:. This is the plan view file that construction lines will be drawn in. Do not have plan view file open in another MicroStation session. File name and location are inherited from working alignment data
- Existing Ground Line: Match existing ground line symbology in the cross section file. Symbology is inherited from working alignment data. To verify symbology, hover pointer on the symbology button . Double click button to change symbology. The standard is:
- Level = X_E_Ground_XS
- Colors = (by level) 8 [other colors may be added for voids and/or hand edits]
- Styles = (by level) 2
- Weight = (by level) 0
- Proposed Finished Grade: Match proposed finished grade line symbology in the cross section file. Symbology is inherited from working alignment data.
Hover pointer on the symbology button to verify symbology. Double click symbology button to change symbology. Select the final top of grade line levels. For complex
sections, isolate levels
in the dgn and use Match
button to select element levels. A typical section example is shown below.
- Level = X_P_Cutslope, X_P_Ditchslope, X_P_Fillslope, X_P_Foreslope, X_P_Pave_Layer_Top [typical section]
- Colors = optional
- Styles = optional
- Weight = optional
- Radius of Display: Set to 5.0 [or 1.0 if ties are not captured]
- Plot Parameters: Select button and the Plot Parameters for Limits menu appears. Double click symbology window for each line type and enter the WFLHD CADD Standards symbology as shown below:
- Level, all lines = P_RDW_ Slope_Stake_Limits
- Color, all lines = (by level) 2
- Cut Line
- Style = 1
- Weight = 3
- Fill Line
- Style = 3
- Weight = 3
- Transition Line
- Style = 4
- Weight = 1
- Place Construction Limit (optional). This toggle turns on labels that plot supplemental text data along the construction limit lines
- Place Construction Limit pull down.
Controls content of supplemental text data.
The choices are:
- Offset from CL. Places text defining distance from Centerline to construction limit line (tie down point)
- Elevation. Places text defining elevation at construction limit line
- Depth from CL. Places text defining elevation difference from Centerline at original ground to construction limit line
- Prefix/Suffix. Places only text defined in the Prefix and Suffix fields
- Label Plot Parameters. Select button to adjust plot parameters, menu shown below
- Prefix/Suffix field. Place desired labels or symbols in fields. Note, a space ( ^ )can be placed after and before text
- Text symbology and preferences. Double click left/right field to set text parameters
- Level = P_RDW_ Slope_Stake_Limits_Text
- Set Justification. Left = Right Center justification, Right = Left Center justification
- Set other parameters as shown above
- Left/Right Orientation. Set to Relative (to centerline) and 270 (degrees rotation)
- Left/Right Offset. Set to 10 units
Select OK to each sub-menu as parameters are entered and resume to settings of the Limits of Construction menu.
- Tie Down Option. Use Outer Tie Downs
Save settings before applying. Select close X and save limits of construction setting. Select Yes.
Open Limits of Construction run that was created. Check all setting that have been entered and close again to save settings if necessary. Select Apply.
The screen will flash with cross section processing. After processing, the PW Check In menu will appear, select Update Server Copy. The (HA) plan dgn file will open, and the Save Limits of Construction Settings? alert will appear again, Select Yes.
Verify construction limit lines with cross section data.