Cross Section Sheet Layout
Purpose: This routine reads a "source" cross section file containing cross section information and references them into a "destination" cross section file in individual stacks that fit on 11" x 17" paper in several different formats.
- A "source" cross section file containing existing ground and proposed elements (i.e.. top of pavement, ditch, cut and fill slopes etc.)
- A "destination" blank file for creating cross section sheets.
Create a new 2D DGN file and open the file. This will serve as the "destination" file.
Invoke the Cross Section Sheet Composition tool from the Project Manager.
The Cross Section Sheet Composition dialog appears as shown below.
Note: The appropriate Cross Section Sheet Library (XSSL file) should load automatically. The following XSSL files are available:
- USC+XS+Sheets.xssl - US Customary units
- Metric+XS+Sheets.xssl - Metric units
Both files are located in the \GEOPAK\Bin\UNIT\ resource folder. To change the XSSL file from the dialog menu select
File -> Sheet Library -> Attach
and choose the needed file.
Use the pulldowns (down arrow) as shown above and attach the desired Active Cross Section Sheet. The following predefined sheets are available:
- 20 Scale Portrait
- 20 Scale Landscape
- 20 Scale Landscape (Double Stack)
- 10 Scale Portrait
- 10 Scale Landscape
- 10 Scale Landscape (Double Stack)
- 200 Scale Portrait
- 200 Scale Landscape
- 200 Scale Landscape (Double Stack)
- 100 Scale Portrait
- 100 Scale Landscape
- 100 Scale Landscape (Double Stack)
In this example the 20 Scale Portrait sheet will be used.
Click on XS DGN File, as shown below and browse to the "source" cross section file, (the .dgn file that already contains the cross section elements):
It may take a minute or so for this to load so be patient. Once completed, the XS Baseline, Begin Station and End Station fields will be populated by the application reading the source file.
Select Sheet DGN File, as shown below and browse to the blank "destination" file.
All of the other settings below Sheet DGN File are already setup in the sheet library except for Sheet Labels.
Scroll down to Sheet Labels, as shown below. This area of the application allows each user to create custom headers to suit specific project needs.
Four lines of text are available for use:
- Office: Preset to FHWA/WFLHD (this can be edited)
- Title: It is suggested to show the Project Number/Name on this line
- Subtitle: This line is intended for more specific information about the particular set of cross-sections such as the station range
- Sheet: Preset to display sheet number
To change a header line, double click the Label column for the appropriate header line. This selects the default text and allows for user input.
Note: these columns are resizeable by clicking the vertical line separator and sliding sideways.
By default the page numbering starts with "1". This field may be modified. This comes in handy when the first 50 sheets are portrait and the second set is in landscape format beginning with sheet 51.
To layout the sheets select the Layout Sheets button as shown below. This step may also take a few minutes to complete because what's happening is all of the elements that were displayed in view ONE in the "source" cross section file are being referenced in 11" x 17" groups into this file.
Sample output is shown below:
To expedite printing it is recommended to merge the reference files into the master document.
To merge the reference file graphics into the master file follow these simple steps:
- Invoke the Reference file dialog, File > Reference
- Select all the referenced files
- Select "Merge Into Master" as shown below and data point the view: