Highway Design Tools
These tools are used to develop a roadway design and prepare PS&E packages.
The following spreadsheets are intended to assist Highway Design professionals in completing lines and grades. All results should be verified by a Professional Engineer. Unless otherwise stated the spreadsheets make use of AASHTO's A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets (the Green Book). Submit questions and commments to the address at the bottom of this page. All spreadsheets are provided as-is.
Superelevation and Runoff Lengths
Calculates superelevation rates, runoff lengths, and optional spiral lengths for a given radius.
- 2011 Green Book (Excel, 42 KB) (Rev. 9/2012)
- Maximum Relative Gradient Checker (Excel, 26 KB) - checks GEOPAK shape input file for actual Maximum Relative Gradient on superelevation runoff. (Rev. 11/2012)
Calculates curve widening for various design vehicles.
- 2011 Green Book (Excel, 39 KB) (Rev. 9/2012)
- Profile grades (Excel, 23 KB) - calculates grades, "K" values, and design speeds. (Rev. 9/2012)
- Barrier Length of Need (Excel, 119 KB) - used to calculate the length of need for guardrail installation. (Rev. 4/2015)
- NPS Visitation Statistics - includes traffic counts for the Parks