Specification Writers' Guide
The Specification Writers' Guide is intended for writers that develop specifications for the Federal Highway Administration's Federal Lands Highway Program. This Guide is to promote and facilitate the writing of specifications that conform to the five Cs of specification writing: writing that is clear, concise, complete, correct, and consistent.
Adherance to the guidance provided in these chapters will help writers develop well-written specifications for use with the Standard Specification for Construction of Roads and Bridges on Federal Highway Projects (FP).
View the Complete Specification Writers' Guide (Acrobat, 539 KB)
These links target chapter points within the main Acrobat document.
- Cover, Introduction, and Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Specification Development
- Chapter 2: Organization of Specifications
- Chapter 3: Formatting Guidelines
- Chapter 4: Wording of Specifications
- Chapter 5: Lists and Tables
- Chapter 6: Additional Drafting Conventions
- Chapter 7: Numerical Information
- Chapter 8: Capitalization and Punctuation
- Appendix A: Submittal Example for Proposed Supplemental Specification